Cerda Planning was a movement to reform and expand the Barcelona’s city planning in 1860 which followed a squared, open and equalitarian structure. It was created by the engineer Ildefons Cerdà. The planning for expansion was originated after demolishing the city walls that oppressed the growth of the city and because of the need to urbanize all the area which separated the historical centre and the surrounding villages like Gràcia, Sants, Sant Martí… which became districts of the new and growing Barcelona.
The planning proposed a continuous grid of 113.3 metre blocks from Besòs River to Montjuïc Hill, with streets of 20, 30 and 60 metres in width and with a maximum lengthof 16 metres. The novelty of this planning consisted on the fact that the blocks were chamfered at a 45º angle in order to allow a better visibility when crossing; as well as green areas and gardens were projected in the interior.
The development of the planning took almost a century long. Along this time, the planning has been transformed and many of its directives haven’t been applied. The interests of land properties and speculation finally detracted the Cerdà planning.